As you probably know, gymnastics requires the sort of flawless performance of balance, flexibility, endurance, and raw strength that can only be achieved through dedicated practice.
Unfortunately, to practice gymnastics well, you need particular pieces of equipment — the equipment you practice on must be similar to the equipment you perform on, because this is the ONLY way to assure consistency.
These can be seen as downsides to gymnastics: the investment of time and money required to excel at the sport. Because on top of all the time you spend at a gym, hiring a a coach and taking classes can be expensive. Basically, gym time is expensive.
So what can we do? Us lovers of the sport — who want to become a great gymnast and perhaps even make an Olympic run someday — how can we practice as much as possible?
The answer is that, if we are truly dedicated to the sport, we must get the necessary gymnastics equipment for our home. Yes, you can buy a gymnastics bar for your home. Once we do this, we can practice at any time, day or night — essentially, our only limitation will be the size of our dreams.
At this point most people worry: Wouldn't an at home gymnastics bar cost a ton of money? The answer is, not really, especially when you consider the amount they will be able to practice with the home gymnastics bar vs how much you pay for gym time. You'd be amazed by how much you end up saving long-term by simply purchasing a gymnastics training bar for home.
How much is a gymnastics bar?
The cost of a gymnastics bar for your home can vary widely, but the standard range is between $250 and $500, with the average price usually falling somewhere around $350.
It's important to not take this investment lightly; the last thing you want to do is purchase a cheap gymnastics bar just because it's cheap. The most important factor should be safety.
Best Available Gymnastic Bars for Your Home
There are many gymnastic bars available in the market. Again, they aren't terribly cheap but it's important to have a reliable piece of equipment that is going to last a long time and be safe to use. To help make this process easier for you we've put together a list of the best training bars, a comparison chart, as well as a detailed review of top 5. If you're still having trouble deciding after all that, we've also provided a beginner’s buying guide to help you choose which bar is right for your training and budget. We hope these gymnastics bar reviews are helpful to you.
Top 10 Gymnastic Bars
Based on our review of the best gymnastics bars for home use, the following made our top ten list, which you can see in more detail below.
1. Gymnastics Pro-Deluxe High Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
2. Norbert's Athletic Products Gymnastics Mini Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
3. Nimble Sports "3Play" Horizontal Bars - [See details] [View on Amazon]
4. Purple Junior Adjustable Horizontal Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
5. Horizontal Bar 5’ High Blue and White - [See details] [View on Amazon]
6. Z-Athletic Gymnastics Expandable Kip Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
7. Tumbl Trak Junior PRO Gymnastics Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
8. Tumbl Trak Gymnastics Junior Kip Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
9. Z-Athletic Gymnastics Expandable Junior Training Bar - [See details] [View on Amazon]
10. Nimble Sports Pink Adjustable Horizontal Kip Bar and 8ft Gymnastics Mat Combo - [See details] [View on Amazon]
Best of the Best: Top Five Gymnastic Bars
Now that we're on the same page about the importance of practicing gymnastics at home, let's look at some practice gymnastics bars for your home. Though there are plenty of options on the market, we tried to weigh the pros and cons of each product — finding the best quality bars for the most reasonable prices. We've made a list of the top 10 gymnastic bars, but let's review the best five in more detail:
The Gymnastics Pro deluxe high bar is our top pick for a gymnastics bar for home. This is a great choice for your home training bar, as pro-deluxe high bars are very strong and sturdy — important in terms of safety.
The gymnastic bars from other brands might be good choices, depending on your preferences, but in our opinion this seems to be the best quality — it is stronger and weighs 60 lbs, whereas other bars weigh around 40-45 lbs. The bar supports about 100 lbs of weight effortlessly. This free standing bar is one of a kind, covers 52” x 48” of space and supports standard sized (4’ x 8’) folding tumbling mats. The wooden rail is also standard sized 1-1/2 inches. Spin locks make the bar height adjustment from 35 inches to 58 inches super easy.
Again, this bar is highly stable; it has an additional steel cross support (under the mat and between the uprights). Extensions are also available with the product to provide greater stability for athletes performing aggressive drills on the bar. Overall, an excellent choice for a gymnastic bar for your home, and our number one pick.
Norbert's mini bar is one of the best-selling pieces of gymnastic equipment on the market, and for good reason — it's a high-quality bar that would work great for at home training.
It features a maple wood rail with a diameter of 1.5” to enable even the youngest of girls with smaller hands to get the perfect grip around the rail. The base of the bar is made with strong steel tubing, along with a spreader bar which provides additional rigidity and support. The steel surfaces of the bar are powder-coated, and the bases are fitted with non-marring rubberized boots. All the joints are welded and the bar is adjustable from 38” to 58” and contains a clamping pull pin system adds to security. Space between the uprights allows the use of standard mats under the bar.
This gymnastics bar for home limits the use to level 3, which means up to 100 lbs. It is easy to put up, take down and put away, making it one of the more portable bars available. This is the latest design from Norbert, and it can be assembled without any help. For its quality and affordable price, this bar is highly recommended.
Slightly different from the other gymnastic bars ranked here, the Nimble Sports “3play” bar is a multi-functional adjustable bar which can be changed from a standard horizontal bar to uneven bars or parallel bars.
The adjustable bar has a range of secure adjustments starting from 3ft to 5ft with a fix at every 6 inches — i.e. 36, 42, 48, 54, 60 inches. Also supports width adjustment from 18 inches to 30 inches at every 3 inch which includes 18, 21, 24, 27, 30 inches. 4ft wide base and 1-1/2 inch wood bar will easily fit any 4x8 gym mat. The bar is made with heavy-duty steel powder coated blue. The bar can manage up to around 125 lbs. An additional 5 ft wide fiber rod design is also available at some additional cost. This design has rubber caps on the bottom frame for traction and to lock knobs for simple adjustment.
As with the other bars, the use of a gymnastic mat is recommended to reduce the chances of injury. Nimble also provides gym mats to place in the center for additional safety. Additional one year warranty is provided with the product. A very solid choice for your home gymnastics bar.
This purple junior adjustable horizontal bar is manufactured in the USA. It is sold by Nimble Sports, which is one of the leading companies selling gymnastic equipment.
This product has a wide range of adjustments at every 6 inches starting from 3 ft to 5 ft which makes it 36 inches, 42 inches, 48 inches, 54 inches and 60 inches high. The base of this gymnastic bar for home is 4 ft wide and can fit a normal gym landing mat with dimensions 4x8. The wooden bar is about 1-1/2 inches round and is easily gripped by kids. The bar supports maximum weight of 100 lbs.
Another benefit: everything sold by Nimble Sports comes with an year of warranty. A 30-day return policy is provided with the product as well. This product, available in vibrant color hues, is one of the best choices to start practicing on a gymnastics bar at home.
This horizontal bar can be used by athletes for additional gymnastic training or can be used by kids for fun at home. The lightweight structure is an added advantage because it can be easily moved by a child from one place to another whenever needed. No compromise has been done with the strength of the product; it is extremely light but very strong. It is extremely safe for any kind of aggressive gymnastic training.
The bar has rubber coated steel tubing and galvanized hardware. There are several versions available for this horizontal bar. The specific product shown here is 6 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 5 feet tall. There is also a 3 foot tall version of this bar available for even younger children. It is capable of holding up to 100 pounds of weight and comes in range of colors. Any combination of colors including blue, orange, brown, black, red, green, gray, yellow can be ordered. The bar needs to be assembled but comes with detailed instructions to help you put it together effortlessly. Tools needed for assembling include Alan wrench, hammer/rubber mallet, Philips screwdriver, and wrench.
This is a good home gymnastics bar that will elevate your child's gymnastics training. Highly recommended product.
Other Quality Gymnastic Bars
We've made it easy for you (hopefully) by providing you with a list of, in our opinion, the top 10 gymnastic bars. But if you're still having trouble deciding which bar is best, let's talk about specifications of these bars and what are some must-haves. It's likely that experienced gymnasts (or experienced parents) already know what's important, so this gymnastics bar buyer's guide is geared more toward beginners (or their still-learning parents).
Following are some basic requirements to get the most out of your equipment purchase, to prevent you from making any mistakes and wasting money, time, or most importantly, risking safety. Safety and quality are the main concerns. Staying within your budget is important, but it's more important not to compromise on quality, because quality correlates with safety.
Factors to consider:
1. Stability – First, the major requirement of a good practice gymnastic bar is stability. A stable bar makes sure that, no matter how aggressive the drills a gymnast practices, it never collapses. So stability is a must for the gymnast to be safe and to prevent the risk of injury.
2. Dimensions – There are two main dimensions for bars available: 4 ft x 4 ft and 4 ft x 8 ft. You can choose the one that suits you well and fits in your home without causing any trouble.
3. Weight limit – Every gymnastic bar has a weight limit, and most have different weight limits. This should definitely be taken into consideration when buying a gymnastics bar. You must ensure that the gymnast comes under the weight limit provided, otherwise the company will not be responsible for any kind of mishap owing to their equipment during your practice. So, be sure to double and triple check the weight limit before buying a product.
4. Matting requirements – Different gymnastic bars have different matting requirements. So, it is a necessity to understand the matting requirements of the specific bar to take full advantage of your product. Though, most of the gymnastic bars have standardized their base mat requirements but this may not be the case. If you need a mat, check out our list of the best gymnastics mats for your home.
5. Bar height – Since this gymnastic bar will be used in your home, it must be able to fit in your house and specifically inside the room in which you intend to use it. In addition to this, it should be tall enough for the gymnast to use it efficiently and safely. This is a very important aspect to consider when looking for a gymnastic bar for your home.
6. Ease of assembly – While not a major factor, consider the ease of assembly. Not everybody is very handy, and some of these can be difficult to assemble. All the bars come with an instruction manual, but again some of them are extremely difficult to put up together and some may require extra plywood. Portability comes into play here, because you probably want to be able to assemble and disassemble the bar when you need to do so.
7. Maximum Skill level – Keep in mind that some bars are really only meant for beginners. If you are looking for a bar of your level you need to check the product description thoroughly to get a bar that will work for your needs. Most of the bars support level 1 to level 4 but there are also professional bars which support level 1 to level 6. So, as per your needs, choose the one that fits with your skill level alongside your budget.
There you have it! With these detailed reviews of the best gymnastics bars for home use, you should be well on your way to buying a gymnastics bar for your home. You may also be interested in checking out some of the best balance beams for home use as well. Having this gymnastics equipment at home provides a huge benefit to aspiring gymnasts and often gives them the advantage they need in competitions to come out on top and bring home the gold.
We hope this guide has been helpful for you in choosing your gymnastic equipment. Now get to practicing! All it takes is a dream — just get going, take the chance, and take the necessary steps that move you closer to your goal.